Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Finding Strength in a Time of Hate

Hello. My name is Jey. I am a proud member and supporter of the LGBT community. First of all, I want to wish everyone a Happy National Coming Out Day. I hope everyone stays strong as we continue to fight for our rights. Now, on to what I wanted to talk about...

I was watching a documentary over the weekend about the Westboro Baptist Church and the things I saw made me annoyed beyond words. But I will try to compose my thoughts and get them out there on this blog post right here. To begin with, members of the church said they were preaching love of God and trying to save people from Hell. How can such hateful words be said in the name of love and God? How can hatred for one group of people be justified like that. I admit, I have not read the Bible, but I do know that Jesus preached love and forgiveness. What the WBC stand for is the exact opposite.

Also, WBC members constantly go on about how horrible America is and how this country is going to Hell. Well, if you really think it is that bad here, move out. No one is stopping you. The only reason these people haven't moved out is because this is the only country in the world where they have the freedom to say these nasty and hurtful things without any consequences. Remember awhile back, they wanted to protest the funerals of the victims of the massacre in Sweden? They were stopped dead in their tracks because the Swedish government threatened to throw them in jail if they came. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but if they truly believed what they were preaching, wouldn't they still go and stand up for what they think is right even with the threat of jail time? Something just seems fishy there.

Yes, we do have the Freedom of Speech in America, but with that freedom comes responsibility. There is a time and a place for everything, and just because you have the right to say something doesn't mean it should be said. To protest at a funeral and shot these nasty insults at people when they are trying to mourn a loved one is just wrong. Maybe he or she was a sinner in one person's eyes, but on the other hand, that is some one's loved one and their loss is painful enough. I guarantee that if a group of gays were to protest a WBC funeral, the church members would not be happy, and would sue the group that protested their funeral.

I think that the WBC is not about spreading the word of God. It is about one man's hatred for a group of people that has done nothing to harm him. He is rounding up people to do his dirty work and spread his message of hate. This is one man's personal agenda, and he is using these people to do it. Even the young children are caught up in this, and they are innocent victims as well. In the documentary I watched, the reporter asked one of the children if he knew what "fag" meant, and the child could not answer him. These poor children are just more victims of WBC's hate.

I will conclude by saying this: By no means am I a perfect person. I say bad things I don't mean, I do things I'll regret, I have some anger management problems, I drink more than I should. But I do all this because I am human, not because I am dammed to Hell or whatever. Humans are supposed to make mistakes, humans are supposed to be flawed. I know things will never be perfect and people will always have hatred or other people. But on the flip side of that, people can also be great and can learn to love others. If we all take a step back and look at the greater picture, we will all see how much time and energy is wasted on hate.

So, this Coming Out Day, I wish everyone strength and love, because it is much harder to love, but it is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment